Get up to speed quickly on emerging topics
The ACS In Focus e-books help readers of all levels accelerate their fundamental understanding of emerging topics and techniques from across the sciences. In an instructional setting, these works bridge the gap between textbooks and literature. For the seasoned scientist, they satisfy the hunger for continuous growth in knowledge and capability.
The first step toward advancing understanding and launching into the literature.
What is ACS In Focus?
ACS In Focus e-books are four- to six-hour reads using non-specialist language that topic newcomers can easily digest and are delivered in our new e-reader platform. Renowned ACS In Focus authors cover a broad range of emerging topics, important techniques and related applications, careers options, and ways in which topics are applied in business and industry.
Who is it for?
Any scientist who wants to get up to speed on a topic outside of their current competencies can benefit from the ACS In Focus series. Upper-level Undergraduates: Introduce budding scientists to emerging interdisciplinary and chemical topics. These books will help bridge the gap from undergraduate curriculum to active research and advanced learning. ACS In Focus titles help students grasp the real-world impact of the science they are learning. Graduate Students: Bring graduate students up to speed when they first join a research group and enter the lab. ACS In Focus helps build the confidence needed to take on new challenges and be a productive member of a fast-moving research team. Practicing Scientists: Even experienced scientists find places in which they want to expand their expertise and continue learning. Because these books capture emerging topics, it’s an efficient way to learn about cutting edge techniques and new topics.
What’s in each e-book?
Each e-book includes several reader-friendly features, such as
- Authored Multimedia: complex concepts explained via molecular models, video, and more
- Insider Q&A: interviews with field insiders (with transcript)
- Check Your Understanding: eight to ten end-of-book questions, with answers provided by video by the field’s key players (with transcript)
- Read These Next: suggested content, often review articles to read after the e-book
- A Day in the Life: case studies of how a tool is used or the author’s practical advice
- Pop-up glossary: quickly learn the definitions of key terms
- That’s a Wrap: bulleted end-of-chapter summary