About the journal
Environmental Research Communications (ERC) is a new high-quality, open access journal covering all branches of environmental research.
ERC welcomes submissions from all domains of the Earth’s system, including atmosphere, biosphere, lithosphere, and hydrosphere as well as interdisciplinary studies between these. All environment-related research aimed at specific disciplines, regions or case studies are within scope, including multidisciplinary studies. All types of results can be published, provided they contribute to advancing knowledge in their field, including negative results, null results and replication studies.
The journal does not make a subjective assessment on the potential future significance and impact of a paper, instead it provides a platform for rapidly communicating research that meets high standards of scientific validity and rigour and contributes to the development of our knowledge of the environment.
All environment-related research is in scope, including interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary studies. Areas of interest within this broad and inclusive scope include (but are not limited to):
- Agriculture and food
- Atmospheric science
- Biodiversity and conservation
- Built environment
- Climate science
- Environmental behaviour & psychology
- Environmental chemistry
- Environmental engineering & technology
- Environmental health
- Hydrology and water
- Natural resources and ecosystem services
- Ocean sciences
- Policy, socioeconomics, and law
- Solid earth sciences
- Waste treatment & disposal
Find out about some of the benefits and publishing services available to ERC authors.
Why should you publish in Environmental Research Communications?
- Broad scope: the journal scope extends across all areas of environmental science providing a home for disciplinary research within an interdisciplinary journal.
- Inclusive: no subjective assessment is made on the potential future significance or interest level of your paper, instead we focus on its contribution to our knowledge of the environment.
- High standards: ERC operates a transparent editorial selection and feedback process focused on scientific validity and rigour. Articles will be peer reviewed by IOP Publishing’s global network of expert referees.
- Fast publication: we are committed to providing you with a fast, professional service to ensure rapid first decision, acceptance and publication. Once accepted, your article will be accessible to readers within 24 hours, and will include a citable DOI.
- Open access: your paper will be published under a CC BY 3.0 licence enabling immediate and perpetual access, and permitting the widest possible dissemination and reuse of your research, but only with clear attribution to you as the copyright owner.
- Transfer opportunities: as well as accepting direct submissions, the journal also offers you a quick and easy solution to transfer your manuscript from another IOP Publishing journal if it does not fit that journal’s scope or significance criteria. Articles are transferred along with peer review reports to save time and avoid duplication of work for referees.
- International Editorial Board: scientific leadership for ERC is provided by a Senior Advisory Panel of prominent researchers from across the full breadth of environmental research. A large and international Editorial Board of emerging leaders, with a broad scientific and geographical distribution, directly supports the peer review process.
- Society owned: IOP Publishing is a leading society publisher of advanced physics research. Any profits generated by IOP Publishing are invested in the Institute of Physics, helping to support research, education and outreach around the world.