The American Institute of Physics advances, promotes and serves the physical sciences for the benefit of humanity.
As a federation of physical science societies, AIP offers programs, products and services that:
- Advance and distribute the knowledge of the physical sciences and its applications;
- Enhance and cultivate the physical sciences disciplines;
- Enable and foster collaborative efforts among stakeholders in the physical sciences; and
- Promote the physical sciences to the public, leaders, government officials, agencies, and the media.
AIP Member Societies cover a broad range of fields in the physical sciences and collectively represent more than 120,000 scientists, engineers, educators and students in the global physical sciences community.
AIP offers authoritative information, services, and expertise in physics education and student programs, science communication, government relations, career services for science and engineering professionals, statistical research in physics employment and education, industrial outreach, and the history of physics and allied fields. AIP also publishes the flagship magazine Physics Today and is home to the Society of Physics Students and the Niels Bohr Library and Archives. AIP owns AIP Publishing LLC, a not-for-profit scholarly publisher in the physical and related sciences.
AIP Publishing provides the global physical science community with a comprehensive collection of highly cited peer reviewed scientific information. Accessed by researchers at nearly 4,000 institutions worldwide, AIP Publishing’s portfolio includes prestigious titles such as Applied Physics Letters, Journal of Applied Physics and The Journal of Chemical Physics, and the AIP Conference Proceedings series. AIP Publishing also publishes on behalf of several of AIP’s Member Societies and other publishing partners.
Goals and core activities
- Advancing the physical sciences as publisher of leading research journals and conference proceedings.
- Advancing the AIP Member Societies by providing efficient publishing services and systems for essential society functions.